Austin Peay State University, located in Clarksville, TN, invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics.
The Director reports to the President of the University and is a member of the President’s Cabinet. The Director provides strategic leadership, direction, and oversight for a 16-sport NCAA Division I FCS intercollegiate athletics program.
The Director of Athletics has oversight of strategic planning, fiscal affairs, staffing, fundraising and promotions, athletics facilities, regulatory compliance with respect to intercollegiate athletics, and general operations, and works closely with multiple internal and external constituencies to advance the University’s strategic objectives and goals.
ABOUT AUSTIN PEAY UNIVERSITY
Austin Peay State University is a vibrant, growing university, located on a beautiful campus close to downtown Clarksville and the Cumberland River. Clarksville, Tennessee, is the state’s fifth largest and youngest city. The university is named after former Tennessee Governor Austin Peay, a Clarksville native. Austin Peay is a four-year public, master’s level university offering more than 62 majors and 108 different concentrations and will offer its first doctoral degree fall 2018. Fall enrollment is expected to be approximately 10,800 students, and the University’s strategic plan calls for growth to 13,000 students in the next few years and ultimately to 15,000 students.
AUSTIN PEAY ATHLETICS
The Austin Peay Governors compete in NCAA Division I FCS athletics in 6 men’s and 9 women’s sports, participating in the highly-competitive Ohio Valley Conference (OVC). The university has about 350 student-athletes.
Austin Peay State University athletics is about more than just its signature cheer of “Let’s Go Peay!” In the classroom, our student athletes posted back-to-back semesters of department-wide 3.0 GPAs, with seven individuals earning Academic All-District honors this year alone. The tremendous young people brought to campus by our coaches (four of whom won OVC Coach of the Year honors in 2017-18) accounted for more than 2,000 hours of community service in the greater Clarksville area in this academic year alone and helped Austin Peay earn the 2017 OVC Institutional Sportsmanship honor a year ago. And from our basketball program’s historic surge as the No. 8 seed to conference tournament champion two years ago to the football and softball program’s amazing one-year turnaround this year and the 30-win juggernaut assembled by the volleyball program, we’ve never been stronger on the field of competition. There has never been a better time to “Be A Gov!”
Austin Peay State University’s Department of Intercollegiate Athletics strives to maintain a Division I athletics program that serves and supports the Academic Mission of the University. The student-athlete experience is the core mission and focus of the athletics program as it maintains a culture of excellence in the classroom, in competition and in our community. Our traditions and the people they represent celebrate our past and define our future.
The Director of Athletics has direct responsibility for the University’s NCAA Division I FCS Intercollegiate Athletics program. The Director supervises a full and part-time staff of approximately 80 people and manages an annual budget of $12 million. The Director also provides leadership and represents Austin Peay in its responsibilities as a NCAA Division I participant and a member of the Ohio Valley Conference. The position reports directly to the President and is a member of the President’s Cabinet.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Plan, administer, and direct the university’s athletic activities.
– Plan and oversee efforts of the department to encourage and support the academic success of student athletes. – Employ and discharge coaching staff and other employees of the department.
– Plan and coordinate activities of the coaching staff.
– Oversee the budget for athletic operations and authorize expenditures.
– Plan and schedule athletic events and oversee ticket sales activities.
– Assist in athletic fundraising activities and activities geared to promote the university’s athletic programs among students, alumni, and other supporters.
– Oversee Public Relations with faculty, staff, students, alumni, media, and the general public.
– Negotiate and administer media contracts.
– Assure that all athletic programs are in compliance with all NCAA and Ohio Valley Conference Rules and Regulations.
– Develop long-term plans to determine need for and feasibility of constructing or upgrading athletic facilities.
– Perform other related duties as required.
– Communicate effectively and appropriately.
– Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
– Interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University community, and the public.
– Effectively supervise personnel and complete all associated personnel actions in a timely and accurate manner.
– Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports, budgets, contracts, etc.
– Recommend local policy and comply with all policies and regulations of the University, the Ohio Valley Conference, and the NCAA.
– Participate in community activities and professional organizations/meetings.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work, and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
– Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s degree preferred;
– Five (5) years of successful managerial experience with evidence of increased responsibility in intercollegiate athletics;
– High degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs and what is required to achieve success at that level;
– Evidence of effective leadership and the ability to manage and motivate others;
– Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA, OVC and Title IX regulations;
– Evidence of strong communication skills and the ability to build relationships with internal and external constituents;
– Demonstrated success and mastery in managing a sizable budget;
– Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization;
– Commitment to and experience in raising private support from donors and from corporations;
– Established record of achievement in the areas of marketing and promotions;
– Successful record of long-range financial planning in a complex organization;
– Successful record of and commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion
– A background and credit check will be required of the successful applicant
Apply electronically to: APSUAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com by submitting a letter of application and resume. Review of applications will begin June 18, 2018, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: APSUAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com.
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. The university offers an excellent benefits package (see : http://www.apsu.edu/human-resources/benefits/).
Austin Peay State University (APSU) does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by APSU. Inquiries or complaints regarding the non-discrimination policies, including Title IX complaints, should be directed to the Director of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action and Title IX Coordinator or the Deputy Title IX Coordinator. Title IX complaints may also be directed to the EEO Compliance Officer and Investigator.