The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), located in Las Vegas, Nevada, invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics.
In seeking to identify the new director, UNLV is searching for an individual who is committed to team success and to academic excellence for student-athletes and who has the leadership capabilities to lead UNLV Athletics to higher levels of achievement and recognition.
The Director reports to the President of the University, administers the overall athletic program, and provides strategic leadership, direction, and oversight for one of the most comprehensive athletics departments in the country.
The Director of Athletics is responsible for fiscal affairs (including fundraising), personnel, strategic planning, athletics facilities, event management, public relations, and general operations and works closely with multiple internal and external constituencies to advance strategic University objectives and goals.
UNLV is a doctoral degree-granting institution of approximately 29,000 students and more than 3,000 faculty and staff that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a research university with high research activity. A federally designated minority-serving institution, UNLV offers a broad range of respected academic programs and is on a path to join the top tier of national public research universities. The university is committed to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty, educating the region’s diversifying population and workforce, driving economic activity through increased research and community partnerships, and creating an Academic Health Center for Southern Nevada that includes the launch of a new UNLV School of Medicine. UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in Southern Nevada. For more information, visit unlv.edu.
UNLV is guided by its strategic plan to become a Top Tier university. That plan has five pathway goals, each of which is tied to an overall goal of diversity, equity, and inclusion:
1. Research, scholarship, and creative activity;
2. Student achievement;
3. Academic Health Center;
4. Community partnerships; and
5. Infrastructure and shared governance.
For more information about Top Tier, visit unlv.edu/toptier.
UNLV ATHLETICS: A member of the Mountain West Conference, UNLV sponsors 17 varsity sports programs (10 for women and 7 for men) while serving over 450 student-athletes. All UNLV teams are highly competitive at the NCAA Division I level, regularly contending for MWC Championships and participating in NCAA post-season competitions.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Athletics has direct responsibility for the University’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics program. The Director supervises a full- and part-time staff of approximately 200 people and manages an annual budget of over $34M. The Director also provides leadership and represents UNLV in its responsibilities as a NCAA Division I participant and a member of the Mountain West Conference. The position reports directly to the President and is a member of the President’s Cabinet.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
1. A background that demonstrates high moral character, honesty, and personal integrity;
2. A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university is required; a postgraduate
degree(s) is preferred;
3. Ten years of successful management experience, with evidence of increased
responsibility in intercollegiate athletics or a related field;
4. A high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs, with extensive
experience in an NCAA environment preferred;
5. Evidence of effective leadership and the ability to manage and motivate others;
6. A successful record of a commitment to the well-being of student-athletes, including their
academic, social, and physical development;
7. A demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, compliance with NCAA regulations
and Title IX;
8. A successful record of and commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity;
9. Evidence of strong communication skills and the ability to build relationships with internal
and external communities;
10. Demonstrated success and mastery in managing a multi-faceted budget;
11. Evidence of successfully generating revenues and managing existing resources for a
12. A commitment to and experience in raising private support from donors and from
13. An established record of achievement in the areas of marketing and promotions; and,
14. A successful record of long-range strategic and financial planning in a complex
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and education. Position includes full University benefits.
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically to:
UNLVAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com by March 15, 2017. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: UNLVAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com. Collegiate Sports Associates representatives are available at: 910-722-4222
UNLV is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action educator and employer committed to achieving excellence
through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among
other things, race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability,
sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor protected by antidiscrimination laws. The University of Nevada, Las Vegas employs only United States citizens and non-citizens
lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities,
and veterans are encouraged to apply.