Director of Athletics – Drexel University
Drexel University invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics.
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America’s 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia’s top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
Drexel Athletics enjoys a rich, 125-year tradition in sports. A national leader in academics and gender equity, its 18 Division I teams include nationally ranked squads, as well as CAA champions in men’s lacrosse, men’s soccer, field hockey, and basketball. Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams won the 2021 CAA Championships and qualified for their respective NCAA Tournaments.
The Director of Athletics provides executive leadership for an NCAA Division I athletic program at the highest level of national standards with regard to all athletic department matters, including fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning, facilities, public relations, and general operation while adhering to the highest standards of integrity in academics, financial, and business matters while in strict compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. The Director is the chief administrator for the University’s intercollegiate athletics program, and establishes policies and procedures that achieve the parallel goals of quality, competitive athletics teams, and support the individual education of student athletes.
The Director of Athletics will oversee a budget of over $17M, and a professional staff of over 100, including coaching staff and the AD’s leadership team. Additionally, the Director is responsible for nearly 500 student athletes competing across 18 sport programs (9 men’s teams, and 9 women’s teams). The Director will report to the Senior Vice President for Student Success, but will concurrently serve on the President’s Cabinet and Executive Council. The Director will also work closely with the Senior Vice President for Student Success in management and oversight of the Board of Trustees Athletics Subcommittee. The Director will hold a very close working relationship and have direct access to the Drexel University President, Senior Vice President for Student Success, Senior Leadership across the institution, and members of the Drexel Board of Trustees.
The department also provides recreational opportunities and programming, including intramural and club sports, to over 20,000 full-time students and 5,600 faculty and staff.
- 7+ years in athletics administration; demonstrated knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations governing recruitment, player eligibility and related functions is required.
- Master’s degree or relevant professional experience that would equate to a master’s
- Proven management skills overseeing a large multi-faceted department. Superior relationship-building skills, and a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Possess excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with fiscal management and overall operations required.
- Ability to recruit outstanding coaches and staff and ability to provide mentorship and development to coaches, staff and students.
- Possess subject matter expertise including extensive working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations, and contemporary issues in athletic administration.
- Provide visionary leadership, strategic planning, and policy development for the Athletics program ensuring consistency with overall University policies; other regulations that govern the University, NCAA rules and certification requirement, and all Federal, state, and local laws, including Title IX
- Ensure the Athletic Department has a highly competent and diverse coaching, administrative, and support staff consistent with the overall mission of the University;
- Supervise, develop, and directly or indirectly manage coaches and other department personnel
- Facilitates the attainment of personal development and academic goals by student-athletes through engendering a philosophy which promotes those goals and establishes an environment conducive to both, maintaining an accessibility for student-athletes whether for athletic or academic matters, providing opportunities for academic assistance to student-athletes if required, and monitoring the academic progress of participating student-athletes
- Ensures that the University obtains the most favorable commercial broadcast conditions (both radio and television) by developing bid specifications for radio and television contracts and assisting with negotiations for local radio and television rights
- Maintain active participation in University, conference, and NCAA planning systems and professional development opportunities, ensuring compliance with all university, national association, and conference policies, rules, and regulations
- Commit to the key values of intercollegiate athletics and maintaining intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the education program through participation and continued leadership in NCAA Division I certification programs
- Provide proactive leadership in fundraising and revenue development within accepted practices in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations
- Administer the overall athletic budget
- Provide continual leadership that serves the needs of student-athletes, coaches, staff, and the public
- Promotes a positive image of the University and its intercollegiate athletics program by working cooperatively with the commissioners of the various athletic conferences, leagues and the NCAA, participating in community and professional organizations, assisting with alumni functions throughout various cities and states, and representing the University locally and nationally as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics, at professional meetings and on professional and community committees
- Work closely with senior leaders and partners at other institutions within the Colonial Athletic Association, assisting in moving conference goals and objectives forward for both Drexel and all partner schools
Athletics Facilities Tour
See the Campus
LOCATION: University City, Philadelphia, PA. Some travel required.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This position is classified as exempt with a salary grade of S. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically using the form on this page by May 7, 2021. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to Clay Pfeifler at email@example.com.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our Policies page to view all University policies related to Human Resources and News and Announcements for workplace postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigation.
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.