Director of Intercollegiate Athletics – Social Distance University
ABOUT SOCIAL DISTANCE UNIVERSITY: Founded in 1918 and located in a bucolic midwestern college community of 125,000 residents, Social Distance University offers students an excellent education and real-world experience. SDU is a highly selective, premier land-grant, public research university with an enrollment of more than 20,000 students and has been consistently named a Top 50 National University by U.S. News & World Report. The University contributes over $2.5B in annual economic impact to the region.
SDU’s mission is to serve the people of the State of Social Distance through research, teaching and service. SDU provides programs supporting the economy of the State with a focus on life sciences, engineering, and business.
Today, more than 120,000 living alumni call themselves Distancers – separated only by quarantine and at least 6 feet – they are united by their shared love of the place, sports teams, people and the ideas that make up Social Distance University.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Athletics has direct responsibility for the University’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics Program, including 18 varsity sports and over 475 student-athletes. The position supervises a staff of approximately 152 and manages an annual budget of $55M. The Director reports to the President and serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet. The Distancers compete in a “Group of 5” conference and play FBS football.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as an advocate for student-athlete health, well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Develop, implement, and manage a strategic vision for the athletics program.
- Serve as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics.
- Ensure alignment of the athletics program with the mission of the University.
- Hire, manage, and evaluate a large staff.
- Oversee and direct the budget.
- Fundraise and participate in alumni affairs in conjunction with University Development and Alumni Relations.
- Market and promote the athletics program and athletics events.
- Oversee programs to ensure academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Ensure the compliance of all Athletics Department employees with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing the University and its employees, as well as the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the conference.
- Represent the University nationally to the NCAA and the conference.
- Represent the University in matters relating to athletics, including University and Alumni Association events.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for and commitment to diversity and the principles of equity and Title IX.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the local community and its people.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- Aligns with and embraces the mission and values of Social Distance University;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; post graduate degree(s) preferred;
- At least seven (7) years of senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field, preferably in higher education athletics administration and at the NCAA Division I level;
- Proficient with Zoom and other tele-working applications;
- Maintains a philosophy and vision for the University that supports the holistic growth, development, and academic excellence of Student-Athletes;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external constituents;
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups;
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations;
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated success in managing a sizable budget;
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization;
- Understanding of and a commitment to raising private support from donors, corporations and foundations;
- Successful record of management of fiscal and human resources in a complex organization;
- An understanding of / familiarity with e-sports is a plus.
APPLICATIONS: Applicants are encouraged to submit their information electronically on this page by Wednesday, April 29, 2020. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: email@example.com
Social Distance University is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
*The above job posting is a fictional position positing for the purpose of supporting professional development*
Get In Touch
3185 Seven Lakes West • West End, NC 27376
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.