Vice Chancellor of Athletics – University of Nebraska Omaha
The University of Nebraska Omaha invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice Chancellor of Athletics.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA OMAHA: The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is both a nationally recognized Metropolitan University of distinction and a Carnegie Doctoral Research institution. Our objective is to transform and improve the quality of life locally, nationally, and globally. UNO is recognized as a premier Metropolitan University throughout the United States and the world, dedicated to achieving excellence through teaching, research, and public service. UNO is dedicated to the city and state in our name. No fences or barriers separate students from the opportunities offered by the greater Omaha area. Success at UNO means success for Omaha, and success for Omaha means success at UNO.
UNO’s student-athletes are successfully competing at the highest level in collegiate sports in Division I athletics. Omaha Athletics, including our facilities at Baxter Arena, Maverick Park, and Caniglia Field, not only enhance the reputation of UNO as a campus, but they also provide great benefits, both economically and socially, to the Omaha metropolitan area.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Vice Chancellor for Athletics has direct responsibility for the University’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics Program, including 16 varsity sports and over 300 student-athletes. The position supervises a full-time staff of approximately 75, manages an annual budget of $20M, and represents the University nationally and within the National Collegiate Hockey Conference and Summit League. The Vice Chancellor for Athletics reports to the Chancellor and serves as a member of the Chancellor’s Cabinet.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Develop, implement, and manage a strategic vision for the Athletics program.
- Serve as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics.
- Ensure alignment of the athletics program with the mission of the University.
- Hire, manage, and evaluate a large staff.
- Oversee and direct the budget.
- Fundraise and participate in alumni affairs in conjunction with University Development and Alumni Relations.
- Market and promote the athletics program and athletics events.
- Oversee programs to ensure academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Ensure the compliance of all Athletics Department employees with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing the University and its employees, as well as the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), National Collegiate Hockey Conference, and The Summit League.
- Represent the University nationally to the NCAA National Collegiate Hockey Conference, and The Summit League.
- Represent the University in matters relating to athletics, including University and Alumni Association events.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for, and commitment to, diversity and the principles of equity and Title IX.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the community of Omaha, Nebraska, and its people.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- Aligns with and embraces the mission and values of the University of Nebraska at Omaha;
- Bachelors degree is required; a post graduate degree(s) is preferred;
- At least five (5) years of senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field, preferably in higher education athletics administration and at the NCAA Division I level;
- Maintains a philosophy and vision for the University that supports the holistic growth, development, and academic excellence of student-athletes;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external constituents;
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups;
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations;
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated success in managing a sizable budget;
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization;
- Understanding of and a commitment to raising private support from donors, corporations and foundations;
- Successful record of management of fiscal and human resources in a complex organization;
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically via: www.collegiatesportsassociates.com by October 15, 2021. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: Jmclaughlin@collegiatesportsassociates.com.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, relation, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. UNO is an AA/EEO/ADA institution.
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.