Western Carolina University – Director of Athletics
Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC, invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics.
ABOUT WESTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY: As the westernmost institution in the University of North Carolina system, WCU attracts students from around the globe to explore the region’s vast natural diversity. Founded in 1889 as a teaching college, Western Carolina provides comprehensive educational opportunities to more than 12,000 students in undergraduate and graduate programs.
Western Carolina University’s 600-acre main campus sits in Cullowhee, North Carolina, near the Great Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains, fifty-two miles west of Asheville. The location in the rural mountains amidst incredible biodiversity and unique communities creates opportunity for academic discovery service.
The story of WCU is one deeply connected to the people of the region. It is rooted in its service to the people of Southern Appalachia and beyond. Consistently ranked as one of the top 15 public regional institutions in the South, WCU belongs not just to its students and its faculty and staff, but to the whole community, for it is integrally connected to this region as its educational, economic, and cultural center. WCU’s vision is to be a national model for student learning and engagement that embraces its responsibilities as a regionally engaged university.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Develop, implement, and manage a strategic vision for the Athletics program.
- Serve as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics.
- Ensure alignment of the athletics program with the mission of the University.
- Hire, manage, and evaluate a large staff.
- Oversee and direct the budget.
- Fundraise and participate in alumni affairs in conjunction with University Development and Alumni Relations.
- Market and promote the athletics program and athletics events.
- Oversee programs to ensure academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Ensure the compliance of all Athletics Department employees with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing the University and its employees, as well as the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Southern Conference.
- Represent the University nationally to the NCAA and the Southern Conference.
- Represent the University in matters relating to athletics, including University and Alumni Association events.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for and commitment to diversity and the principles of equity and Title IX.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Cullowhee, North Carolina community and its people.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- Aligns with and embraces the mission and values of Western Carolina University
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a post graduate degree(s) is preferred;
- At least seven (7) years of senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field, preferably in higher education athletics administration and at the NCAA Division I level;
- Maintains a philosophy and vision for the University that supports the holistic growth, development, and academic excellence of Student-Athletes;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external constituents;
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups;
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations;
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated success in managing a sizable budget;
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization;
- Understanding of and a commitment to raising private support from donors, corporations and foundations;
- Successful record of management of fiscal and human resources in a complex organization
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically on this page by February 7, 2020. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to CSA Director of Operations, Clay Pfeifler, at WCUAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com
Western Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, and veteran status, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and policies, and the policies of The University of North Carolina.
Get In Touch
3185 Seven Lakes West • West End, NC 27376
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.