Prairie View A&M University Director of Athletics
Prairie View A&M University, located in Prairie View, Texas, invites nominations and applications for the role of Director of Athletics.
About Prairie View A&M University
Prairie View A&M University, founded in 1876, is the second-oldest public higher education institution in the state of Texas. A historically black college/university, PVAMU is a member of The Texas A&M University System as one of two land-grant universities in the state and is the largest HBCU in the state and as well as the third largest HBCU in the U.S. The university, known as “The Hill,” offers over 70 degree programs for more than 9,000 students on a 1,440-acre campus. PVAMU is consistently recognized as one of the top producers of African American architects and engineers by Diverse Issues in Higher Education magazine, has been named a “Best Value” institution by Money Magazine and annually awards the second-most STEM degrees across the TAMU System. PVAMU seeks to achieve excellence and relevance in teaching, research, and service while investing in programs and services that address issues and challenges affecting the diverse ethnic and socioeconomic population of Texas and the world and is led by values including, but not limited to, access and quality, accountability, diversity, leadership, relevance, and social responsibility.
Prairie View A&M (the Panthers and Lady Panthers) sponsors 18 Division I varsity programs and over 400 student-athletes that compete in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. PVAMU offers opportunities that enrich the lives of student-athletes and that are consistent with and complementary to the university’s mission and is committed to cultivating academic and athletic success while embracing an inclusive and diverse environment for the Panthers community.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Athletics reports to the President of the University and provides oversight for strategic leadership, direction, and oversight for an eighteen-sport NCAA Division I FCS Intercollegiate athletics program. The position has oversight of strategic planning, fiscal affairs, staffing, fundraising and promotions, athletics facilities, regulatory compliance with respect to Intercollegiate athletics, and general operations. Works closely with multiple internal and external constituencies to advance the University’s strategic objectives and goals.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure alignment of the athletics program with the mission of the University.
- Plans, administers, and directs the university’s athletic activities and staff.
- Supervises all full-time and part-time staff to include: athletics administrators, coaches, and administrative staff.
- Manages a multi-million-dollar annual budget.
- Provides leadership and represents PVAMU in its responsibilities as a NCAA Division I participant and a member of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC)
- Serve as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Promotes academic excellence through improving graduation rates and academic success of student-athletes and plans efforts of the department to encourage and support the academic success of student-athletes.
- Ensures full compliance with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the university and its employees, as well as the rules of the NCAA, SWAC, and Title IX regulations.
- Oversees the budget for athletic operations and authorizes expenditures. Manages day to day business and facility operations, financial and personnel activities of the athletic department.
- Raises financial support for Intercollegiate Athletics through fundraising activities, sponsorships, licensing, television contracts, and merchandising of PVAMU sports programs.
- Oversee, in partnership with other university departments, athletic fundraising activities and activities geared to promote the university’s athletic programs among students, alumni, and other supporters. Plans and schedules athletic events and oversee ticket sales activities.
- Represent the University to a broad range of constituencies, including trustees of the major boards, alumni, faculty, staff, friends, senior corporate executives, government officials, and foundations, and serve as a leader within the not-for-profit community.
- Develops excellent relationships and engagement with alumni, parents, and other external constituents. Builds a strong fan base for all sports teams through effective marketing and game day experiences focusing on customer service and event planning.
- Negotiates and administers contracts to include making arrangements for all athletic contests, including game contracts, facilities and media contracts, travel arrangements, and game day management.
- Develops long-term plans to determine the need for and feasibility of constructing or upgrading athletic facilities. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Ten years of progressively responsible management experience to include at least five (5) years of senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field, preferably in higher education, athletics administration, and at the NCAA Division I level.
- Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Maintain a philosophy and vision for the University that supports the holistic growth, development, and academic excellence of student-athletes.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external constituencies, including excellent interpersonal and public communication skills, including effective messaging to multiple and diverse audiences.
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups.
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Ten or more years of successful managerial experience with evidence of increased responsibility over time in collegiate athletics.
- Working knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs and what is required to achieve success at that level.
- Evidence of effective leadership and the ability to manage and motivate others.
- Demonstrated success in managing a multi-million-dollar budget.
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization.
- Commitment and experience in raising private support from donors and from corporations.
- Established record of achievement in the areas of marketing and promotions.
- Knowledge of long-range financial planning in a complex organization.
- Successful record of and commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion among employee and student-athletes.
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically via: www.collegiatesportsassociates.com by June 19, 2023. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: Jmclaughlin@collegiatesportsassociates.com.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
In accordance with System Policy 08.01, Civil Rights Protections and Compliance, Prairie View A&M University will provide equal opportunity for employment to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity and members are encouraged to develop and maintain programs for building diversity in potential candidate pools.
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.