Whiton-Brown College – Director of Athletics and Physical Education
Whiton-Brown College invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics and Physical Education.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Whiton-Brown College is a four-year, co-educational, liberal arts college located in Alton, New Hampshire on the banks of Lake Winnipesaukee. Founded in 1852 by James M. Whiton and Joseph M. Brown, the college remains one of the premier Liberal Arts colleges in the country. With a renowned teaching faculty, WBC’s 2,100 undergraduate students receive an exceptional and well-rounded education to help them explore their passions, foster creativity, and ultimately serve the world as the thinkers and leaders of tomorrow.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Director of Athletics has direct responsibility for Whiton-Brown’s storied NCAA Division III Intercollegiate Athletics Program and approximately 720 student-athletes. The Whiton-Brown River Otters compete in 28 varsity sports, all within in the New England Small Conference Athletic Association (NESCAC). The Director also maintains responsibility for the College’s intramural and club sport programs. The Director supervises a staff of approximately 60, manages an annual budget of $4 million, and serves on the Council of the President.
The Director sets goals and implements strategy for the Athletics Department including strategies to enhance the academic experience for student-athletes. The Director fosters principles that encourage integrity, student-athlete well-being, diversity, and inclusiveness, while promoting an environment of excellence and success for every student at the College.
The Director leads athletics fundraising activities through the development of optimal strategies to promote broad engagement and participation by local communities, Whiton-Brown alumni and other donor prospects. The Director partners with College Advancement in branding, marketing and promoting the College’s athletics program, athletics events, and fundraising activities.
The Director leads athletics fundraising activities through the development of optimal strategies to promote broad engagement and participation by local communities, UN alumni and other donor prospects. The Director partners with University Advancement in branding, marketing and promoting the University’s athletics program, athletics events, and fundraising activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops, implements, and manages a strategic vision for the athletics program in alignment with the College’s mission and vision
- Serves as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics
- Leads athletics fundraising and participates in alumni affairs in conjunction with College Advancement
- Collaborates and communicates fundraising and development activities, both with internal and external constituency groups
- Develops and oversees budgets for the Athletics Department and other departments within AD’s scope of authority. Assures financial integrity and compliance of assigned areas
- Develops long- and short-term financial forecasts and collaborates with the College’s CFO to ensure proper oversight of revenues and expenses
- Markets and promotes athletics programs, athletics events, and other programs within the AD’s scope of authority
- Demonstrates excellence in public and media relations throughout the local, regional, and national stage
- Develops and oversees programs to ensure academic excellence for student-athletes
- Ensures compliance of all Athletics Department employees with the applicable policies, rules and regulations of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) and the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- Guides the day-to-day operations of the Athletics Department, and the intercollegiate, club, and intramural sports programs
- Develops strategic plans that enhance organizational development and personnel management and evaluation
- Values the safety and health of students, faculty, and staff as a top priority. Serves as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general
- Maintains compliance with Title IX
- Promotes effective communication among all institutional constituents and advocates for athletic, intramural and physical education programs
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a post graduate degree(s) is preferred
- Minimum of Five (5) years of progressive senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics, preferably at the NCAA Division III level
- Strong Interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external constituents
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division III athletics
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations
- Demonstrated success in managing a sizable budget
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization
- Demonstrated strong supervisory, planning, and fiscal competencies
- General understanding of enrollment management practices at a college or university, especially with regard to the relationship between enrollment and the health and viability of athletics and physical education programs
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning, program development and assessment in a college or university environment
- Demonstrated respect for diversity of identities and experiences, with an orientation toward equity, inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of campus life
- Experience and familiarity with the environment of highly selective private liberal arts colleges
- Familiarity with the NESCAC and other peer institutions in the region
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; however, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application, resume, and any other relevant materials electronically using the form on this page. Questions about the position and nominations should be directed to email@example.com.
Whiton-Brown College is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.