James Madison University Director of Athletics
James Madison University, located in Harrisonburg, Virginia, is seeking a dynamic leader to fill the position of Director of Athletics.
About James Madison University
James Madison University is a selective, public institution with a growing national reputation for offering experiences that lead to an outstanding education and inclusive environment for students, faculty and staff. The student body includes approximately 20,000 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students, with over 1,000 full-time instructional faculty. JMU offers thriving programs in the liberal arts, science and technology, and professional disciplines at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels. JMU has achieved national recognition for the high quality of its academic programs, focus on maintaining strong student/faculty interaction, and innovative faculty research. Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. With a population of just over 53,000, Harrisonburg is one of the most diverse communities in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
JMU is a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
James Madison Athletics (the Dukes) sponsors 18 varsity programs that compete in the Sun Belt Conference and is also affiliated with the Eastern College Athletic Conference as well as the American Athletic Conference (AAC) in lacrosse and the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) in swimming and diving. JMU will join the Mid-American Conference (MAC) in field hockey beginning in 2024. JMU has claimed four NCAA national championships – field hockey (1994), football (2004, 2016) and lacrosse (2018). Central to the mission of JMU Athletics is ensuring an exemplary student-athlete experience emphasizing academic achievement, personal development, social responsibility and competitive excellence.
The Director of Athletics provides leadership for a department of 217 coaches and staff who are deeply committed to the development of over 450 student-athletes across 18 varsity programs. As a member of the President’s executive leadership team and reporting directly to the President, the AD provides oversight of strategic planning, fiscal affairs, staffing, fundraising, athletics facilities, regulatory compliance, and general operations while also working closely with multiple internal and external constituencies to advance the University’s mission, strategic objectives, and goals. The AD represents James Madison University and the Department with integrity while ensuring compliance with University, NCAA, Sun Belt Conference and other affiliated conference policies, fosters a positive culture of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and promotes the role of athletics in the JMU and Harrisonburg communities.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership for all aspects of the intercollegiate athletics programs of the university, including matters pertaining to personnel, academic and athletic success, budget, facilities, operations, fundraising, compliance and student-athlete welfare and development.
- Ensure the compliance of all Athletics Department employees with laws, policies, rules and regulations governing James Madison University and its employees, as well as the rules of the NCAA and affiliated conferences.
- Ensure the academic excellence and integrity of all student-athletes.
- Responsible for the strategic planning, marketing, and program development of the Athletics department.
- Serve as a member of the president’s senior administrative staff, fulfilling responsibilities as assigned by the President.
- Fundraise and participate in alumni affairs in conjunction with the University.
- Serve as a results-oriented leader while identifying, hiring, supporting, and evaluating head coaches in all 18 varsity sports.
- Commit to collaboration with other leaders across campus, including the President’s Executive Committee and Board of Visitors, and in the broader Harrisonburg community to continue to enhance the reputation and quality of the university and Dukes Athletics.
- Effectively navigate, via written and oral communication, competing interests among key constituents while facing public scrutiny.
- Support and promote an environment in which diversity, in all its forms, is valued and incorporated in the full range of activities.
- Represent the University nationally to the NCAA and affiliated conferences.
- Serve as a highly visible champion for JMU Athletics, effectively recruiting prospective student-athletes and their families and partner with JMU’s advancement staff to form strong relationships with benefactors and effectively fundraise for the school.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Equivalent to five years of progressively responsible experience in a senior athletic administration position or relevant transferable experience.
- Working knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs and what is required to achieve success at that level within the changing policy landscape. Experience dealing with issues such as NIL, transfer portal, conference realignment, Transformation Committee, and student-athlete mental health and wellness.
- Demonstrated high integrity and ethical standards.
- Excellent organizational, management, planning and marketing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the institution with professionalism and knowledge.
- Proven capability to manage multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Master’s Degree
- Ten or more years of successful managerial experience with evidence of increased responsibility over time in NCAA Division I collegiate athletics or professional athletics.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with FBS athletics programs and Division I basketball as well as major issues and trends across the NCAA landscape (e.g. NIL, transfer portal).
- Ability to meet and work well with the public and external stakeholders, including the Board of Visitors, and develop and maintain a strong network of industry leaders, especially those at organizations that present future opportunities for the University.
- Demonstrated ability and strong commitment to fundraising and proven business acumen. Demonstrated innovative approach to growing resources for a broad-based program that values all sports and student-athletes.
- Extensive network of relationships among Power 5/Group of 5 institutions and conference leadership.
- Be highly student-centered in all decision-making; Demonstrated commitment to supporting student-athlete health and safety as well as their academic, athletic, and personal success.
- Evidence of an ability to support an environment in which diversity is valued and incorporated in a full range of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives.
- Demonstrated appreciation for Title IX compliance and a broad commitment to men’s and women’s varsity sports.
- Evidence of effective leadership and the ability to manage and motivate others.
- Demonstrated success in managing a multi-million-dollar budget.
- Established record of achievement in the areas of marketing and promotions. Demonstrated ability to leverage media, marketing, and content strategy to enhance the visibility of JMU Athletics on the national stage.
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically via: www.collegiatesportsassociates.com by March 15, 2024. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: email@example.com
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.