Director of Athletics – Boise State University
Boise State University invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics.
ABOUT BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY: Boise State University is the largest university in Idaho, with enrollment of approximately 25,000 students. The university is located in Idaho’s capital city and largest metropolitan area, which serves as the government, business, high‐tech, economic, and cultural center of the state. Boise offers a great quality of life: a family‐friendly culture, a vibrant downtown, and great outdoor recreation including skiing, rafting, camping, hiking, fishing, and biking. To further enhance the quality of life, the university has committed to sustaining the conditions necessary for faculty and administration to enter and thrive in their professional careers.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Athletics has direct responsibility for the University’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics Program, including 16 varsity sports and over 300 student-athletes. The position supervises a staff of approximately 55, manages an annual budget of ~$42M, and represents the University nationally and within the Mountain West Conference (MWC). The Director reports to the President and serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Develop, implement, and manage a strategic vision for the Athletics program.
- Serve as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics.
- Ensure alignment of the athletics program with the mission of the University.
- Hire, manage, and evaluate a large staff.
- Oversee and direct the budget.
- Fundraise and participate in alumni affairs in conjunction with University Development and Alumni Relations.
- Market and promote the athletics program and athletics events.
- Oversee programs to ensure academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Ensure the compliance of all Athletics Department employees with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing the University and its employees, as well as the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Mountain West Conference (MWC).
- Represent the University nationally to the NCAA and the MWC.
- Represent the University in matters relating to athletics, including University and Alumni Association events.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- Aligns with and embraces the mission and values of the Boise State University;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a post graduate degree(s) is preferred;
- At least seven (7) years of senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field, preferably in higher education athletics administration and at the NCAA Division I level;
- Maintains a philosophy and vision for the University that supports the holistic growth, development, and academic excellence of Student-Athletes;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external constituents;
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups;
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations;
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated success in managing a sizable budget;
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization;
- Understanding of and a commitment to raising private support from donors, corporations and foundations;
- Successful record of management of fiscal and human resources in a complex organization.
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically through the form on this page by January 25, 2021. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: BoiseStateAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com
Boise State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Boise State University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans.
See the Campus
Boise State 2019 Year in Review
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.