University of Nashville – Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
The University of Nashville invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1831, the University of Nashville, located in the heart of Nashville TN, offers students a balance of educational excellence and real-world experience. UN is a public research university with an enrollment of more than 32,000 students is consistently listed within the US News & World Report’s Top 150 National Universities.
The University of Nashville offers a broad range of undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs. Among its numerous colleges include the nationally recognized Colleges of Law, Medicine, Business, and Music.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Director of Athletics has direct responsibility for the University’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics Program, including 18 varsity sports and over 500 student-athletes. The position supervises a staff of approximately 150, manages an annual budget of $50M, and represents the University nationally and within Conference USA (C-USA). The Director reports to the President and serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
The Nashville Bears football team competes in the FBS and has an avid fanbase across the state. Nashville’s football and other sport programs enjoy passionate rivalries with Middle Tennessee State, Memphis, UT-Knoxville, and Vanderbilt.
The Director sets goals and implements strategy for the Athletics Department including strategies to enhance the academic experience for student-athletes. The Director fosters principles that encourage integrity, student-athlete well-being, diversity, and inclusiveness, while promoting an environment of excellence and success for every student at the University.
The Director leads athletics fundraising activities through the development of optimal strategies to promote broad engagement and participation by local communities, UN alumni and other donor prospects. The Director partners with University Advancement in branding, marketing and promoting the University’s athletics program, athletics events, and fundraising activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Develop, implement, and manage a strategic vision for the athletics program.
- Serve as a spokesperson for intercollegiate athletics.
- Ensure alignment of the athletics program with the mission of the University.
- Hire, manage, and evaluate a large staff.
- Develops long- and short-term financial forecasts and collaborates with the University’s CFO to ensure proper oversight of revenues and expenses
- Fundraise and participate in alumni affairs in conjunction with University Development and Alumni Relations.
- Market and promote the athletics program and athletics events.
- Demonstrates excellence in public and media relations throughout the local, regional, and national stage
- Oversee programs to ensure academic excellence for student-athletes.
- Ensure the compliance of all Athletics Department employees with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing the University and its employees, as well as the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Conference-USA (C-USA).
- Represent the University nationally to the NCAA and C-USA.
- Values the safety and health of students, faculty, and staff as a top priority. Serves as an advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general
- Represent the University in matters relating to athletics, including University and Alumni Association events.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for and commitment to diversity and the principles of equity and Title IX.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Nashville, Tennessee community and its people.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Aligns with and embraces the mission and values of the University of Nashville and the NCAA
- Bachelor’s degree is required; post graduate degree(s) preferred
- At least seven (7) years of senior-level management experience in intercollegiate athletics or a related field, preferably in higher education athletics administration and at the NCAA Division I level
- Maintains a philosophy and vision for the University that supports the holistic growth, development, and academic excellence of Student-Athletes
- Exceptional Interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external constituents
- Evidence of successfully interacting with governing boards and volunteer support groups
- Successful record of managing coaches and staff and a high degree of knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated success in managing a sizable budget
- Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization
- Understanding of and a commitment to raising private support from donors, corporations and foundations
- Successful record of management of fiscal and human resources in a complex organization
- Demonstrated respect for diversity of identities and experiences, with an orientation toward equity, inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of campus life
- Significant experience and demonstrated success in athletics fundraising, revenue generation, and branding
- Experience with FBS football operations
- Demonstrated understanding of the industry’s media landscape
- Experience in Conference USA or Group of 5 conferences
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; however, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application, resume, and any other relevant materials electronically using the form on this page. Questions about the position and nominations should be directed to email@example.com.
The University of Nashville is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.