Stetson University Director of Athletics
Stetson University, located in DeLand, Florida, invites nominations and applications for the role of Director of Athletics.
About Stetson University
Located in the heart of Central Florida, Stetson University was founded in 1883 by New York businessman Henry A. DeLand, and later named for John B. Stetson, the nationally known hat manufacturer from Philadelphia who gave generously to advance the academic excellence of the institution. Stetson University enrolled 2,339 undergraduates and 1,331 graduate and professional students for Fall 2023 in its four colleges and schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Law, School of Business Administration, and the School of Music located across its three Florida campuses. Additionally, the university maintains a rich array of university centers and institutes. Stetson emphasizes a relationship-rich education, grounded in liberal learning, with practical experiences infused in its programs, culture, and community.
Stetson University’s mission is to provide an excellent education in a creative community where learning and values meet, and to foster in students the qualities of mind and heart that will prepare them to reach their full potential as informed citizens of local communities and the world.
Stetson Athletics (the Hatters) offers opportunities that enrich the lives of student-athletes and that are consistent with and complementary to the university’s mission. Stetson is an NCAA Division I member, sponsoring 18 teams and a cheer program. Teams compete in the Atlantic Sun Conference, Pioneer Football League, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (Women’s Rowing) and Intercollegiate Rowing Association (Men’s Rowing). Stetson has won a total of 35 conference championships. Twelve student-athletes have played in the MLB and two student-athletes have played in the NFL since football was reinstated in 2013. A former men’s basketball student-athlete recently signed with the Milwaukee Bucks G-League affiliate. Stetson student-athletes demonstrate excellence in the classroom as they achieved a combined GPA of 3.26 in the 2022-23 academic year. Fifty percent of the student-athletes earned conference honor roll recognition from the ASUN, PFL and MAAC with GPAs of 3.0 or higher. The Hatter athletics graduation success stood at 96% in the 2022-23 season. Stetson’s academic progress rate is a 984 with all 17 programs being above the NCAA minimum 930, with three teams posting a perfect rate during the 2022-23 academic season. Stetson received the Most Improved APR award from the ASUN Conference in 2023.
As the leader of Stetson Athletics, the AD maintains a positive culture within the department and promotes the role of athletics in the community, nourishing a strong bond of loyalty and spirit among students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, friends of the university and fans of Hatter athletics. The AD is responsible for fielding teams that sustain competitive success, ensuring financial health and continuing Stetson’s strong record of student-athlete academic achievement and graduation rates. The AD guides the overall direction of the athletics department, operating in concert with the values and mission of the university, and aligning its priorities with those of the university. The AD reports directly to the president of the university.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership for all aspects of the intercollegiate athletics programs of the university, including matters pertaining to personnel, academic and athletic success, budget, facilities, operations, fundraising, compliance and student-athlete welfare and development.
- Responsible for the strategic planning, marketing, and program development of the athletics department.
- Develop and manage the department’s operational budget and financial affairs in collaboration with the university’s CFO.
- Build and manage strategic budget and resource plans for the athletics program.
- Report directly to the president of the university and serve as a member of the president’s senior leadership team, fulfilling responsibilities as assigned by the president.
- Identify, hire, support and evaluate head coaches in all sports.
- Manage the athletic facilities and direct athletic events.
- Ensure full compliance with NCAA rules, conference policies and university standards.
- Ensure the academic excellence and integrity of student-athletes.
- In collaboration with the Vice President for Development and Alumni Engagement, develop funds for the department and work with donors.
- Commit to collaboration with other leaders across campus and in the broader community to continue to enhance the reputation and quality of the university and Hatter athletics.
- Support and promote an environment in which diversity, in all its forms, is valued and incorporated in the full range of activities.
- Represent the university to the NCAA, Atlantic Sun Conference, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference and Pioneer Football League.
- Serve as a highly visible champion for Stetson athletics, effectively recruiting prospective student athletes and their families, and partner with Stetson’s Office of Development to form strong relationships with benefactors and effectively fundraise for the school.
- A bachelor’s degree is required with a master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of Division I athletic administrative experience and/or similar type of leadership role in relevant field.
- Comprehensive knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, including experience at the Division I FCS level.
- Focus on student success, with demonstrated commitment to supporting student-athlete health, safety, and holistic wellness, as well as their academic, athletic and personal success.
- Demonstrate vision and passion for Stetson’s values and the primary objectives of higher education.
- Have significant senior-level management experience, including experience with budgets, facilities, operations, personnel, academics, compliance, strategic planning, and student-athlete development.
- Excellent organizational, management, planning and marketing skills.
- Demonstrate highest levels of integrity and ethical standards.
- Ability to meet and work well with the public and all stakeholders, including the Board of Trustees.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the institution with professionalism and knowledge.
- Proven capability to manage multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as lead a team.
- Demonstrate an ability and strong commitment to fundraising.
- Evidence of an ability to support an environment in which diversity and inclusion are valued and incorporated in a full range of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Be a highly visible and approachable leader who relishes engagement with Stetson’s many constituencies.
- Strong vision for the role of collegiate athletics at a top regional university.
APPLICATIONS: The position will remain open until filled; but, for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of application and resume electronically via: www.collegiatesportsassociates.com prior to February 5, 2024. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to: email@example.com
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package.
Stetson University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirms cultural diversity and inclusion as a core value of academic excellence. We are committed to achieving equal access in education, employment and participation through the recruitment and retention of outstanding faculty, staff and students from diverse backgrounds, and to meaningful academic and intellectual transformation in curriculum, research and service.
We are dedicated to actions and policies that foster a community in which individuals with various identities, cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints work together to create opportunities for engagement through rewarding and fulfilling careers and personal experiences in a culturally and racially diverse society and a globalized world. We strongly encourage members of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged groups, and women to apply for employment.
Stetson University is an EEO, ADA, ADEA and GINA employer.
View the Stetson University Prospectus here: Stetson AD Prospectus 2024
Committed To Excellence
With over thirty years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, CSA delivers a unique level of service that effectively meets the needs of the nation’s leading universities and conferences.